x

CHURCHES TOGETHER IN LLANDUDNO 

CYTÛN

A PICTORIAL TOUR OF THE
  
LLANDUDNO CHURCHES

PART 1 - CENTRAL LLANDUDNO


... ... NEXT - PART 2 OUTER LLANDUDNO

Click for a Map showing Central Llandudno Churches


LLANDUDNO CHURCH IN WALES

HOLY TRINITY CHURCH

Holy Trinity

Located in Trinity Square on Mostyn Street in Central Llandudno is
the Church in Wales (Anglican) parish church of the Holy Trinity.
The history of the parish is recorded on the parish website.

Visit Llandudno Parish Website



Holy Trinity Church - The Apse viewed from the south-east.
  
Regular Wednesday evening concerts are held in Holy Trinity Church throughout the Summer.


ST. TUDNO'S ON THE GREAT ORME


St. Tudno's

Saint Tudno's on the Great Orme is the ancient church of Llandudno.
Open-air services are held at 11 o'clock every Sunday Morning
 from the end of May to the end of September.
If wet, the service is held in the church.

Please click this link to see more pictures and a description of the church


ST. JOHN'S METHODIST CHURCH

St. John's

In a dominant central position on Mostyn Street, opposite the Town Library
 and located directly between two branches of Marks & Spencer,
is the Llandudno English Methodist Church of Saint John.
The church was built by the Wesleyan Methodists in 1866,
 aided by a grant from the "Watering Places Fund"
established to provide Churches in the new holiday resorts.

Please click this link for times of Sunday Service

Regular twice-weekly evening concerts by leading male voice choirs
 are a feature of St. John's,
throughout the Summer.


LLANDUDNO CATHOLIC CHURCH

OUR LADY STAR OF THE SEA

Ein Harglwyddes Seren y Môr

Ein Harglwyddes Seren y Môr

The church of Our Lady Star of the Sea stands at the junction of Lloyd Street and St. Mary's Road.


Click for Photographs of the Sanctuary


Click for a map showing the location of the church

Please click for Service Times on the church website

Click for the History of the Catholic Church in Llandudno

Click for the Stella Maris Centre




LLANDUDNO BAPTIST CHURCH

baptist church

The Church of Our Saviour at the junction of Bryniau Road and Great Ormes Road near the West Shore
was transferred from the Church in Wales to the
Llandudno Baptist Church a few years ago.
The church contains a baptismal font given as a memorial to Lewis Carroll (Charles Dodgson).

Please click this link for Sunday Service times


GLODDAETH UNITED CHURCH

Gloddaeth Church

The present church was built for the English Presbyterian congregation in 1891.
It is to the designs of T.G. Williams of Liverpool and
the remarkable structure
is most effective when viewed from the inside where the 58 by 55 foot space
beneath the massive conical shaped roof is uninterrupted by supporting pillars.
The present Congregation is the amalgamation of the local Congregations of
the English Presbyterian Church and the Llandudno United Reformed Church. 
The church
is located at the junction of Chapel Street with Gloddaeth Street.


Please click this link for Sunday Service times

Choir concerts are held in Gloddaeth United Church throughout the Summer.



EMMANUEL CHRISTIAN CENTRE

Emmanuel Centre

The Emmanuel Christian Centre (at the junction of Chapel Street with Lloyd Street)
This is an independent congregation loosely affiliated to the Assemblies of God.
The building of 1909 is by W. Beddoe Rees for the Ebeneser Welsh Methodist Church
who abandoned it in 1972 when the lease expired. It comprises a circular chapel,
 beneath the central dome with four corner offices or anterooms and a schoolroom at the rear.

Please click this link for Sunday Service times


EGLWYS UNEDIG GYMRAEG LLANDUDNO

LLANDUDNO UNITED WELSH CHURCH

Croeso Cynnes I Bawb

Seilo

Seilo is located at the junction of Arvon Avenue with
Gloddaeth Street.
It was completed in 1905 to the design of G.A. Humphries for the Welsh Presbyterian Church.
It has a traditional interior with a magnificent gallery and a total capacity in excess of 1,000.
Today it is the home of the United Welsh Congregation in Llandudno.

Trefn Gwasanaethau’r Sul

Please click this link for the Welsh Church Sunday Service times


Click for a Map showing Central Llandudno Churches


Capel Tabernacl - Llandudno Heritage Centre

Y Tabernacl

Y Tabernacl is located in Upper Mostyn Street. The
Welsh Baptists established their first church
 at Llandudno in 1813 and the present church in 1875. This was extended in 1902 by G.A. Humphries.
It was the first Nonconformist chapel in Llandudno to have a Sunday School and a resident Minister
and the first to be registered for the solemnisation of marriage.  A remarkable internal feature
is a virtually unique "drainage" dressing room for baptismal candidates after their immersion.
The chapel was used until 2006 by the
United Welsh Congregation in Llandudno and is now,
together with the adjoining schoolroom, being adapted for use as the Llandudno Heritage Centre.
The schoolroom currently houses
the 'Stori Llandudno' exhibition.


THE COPTIC ORTHODOX CHURCH

SAINT MARY AND SAINT ABASKHYROUN
Trinity Avenue, Llandudno




The Coptic Orthodox Church was established in Llandudno in 2006
and it uses the former Ebeneser Welsh Methodist Chapel, which
had been in use until 2003 by the Llandudno United Welsh Church.
It was consecrated
as a Coptic Church on March 29th 2008 by
His Holiness Pope Shenouda III, Pope of Alexandria and
Patriarch of the See of Saint Mark and Overseas.


Click for a map showing the location of this church.
Click this link for Church Service Times.


Click for Part 2 -  Churches in Outer Llandudno

Photographs by Noel Walley, 2003-8
 Updated January 2009

Cytûn - Churches together in Llandudno - Home page

Llandudno Visitors' Link